Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Literature of Comics In-Class Assessment

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" by Alan Moore

1. What is your reaction to the text that you just read? 

"I felt like the interview set up for the story was really good. It was a good decision to tell this story in that form. As far as content goes, I felt a little confused in some places with how the actions of the villains sometimes overlapped one another. I also feel like this affected the pace in that it might have sped the story up too much only in some areas. I felt like the drama of the story wasn’t expressed enough in the text partly because in some moments where there was a lot of action happening I feel like there was too much text. But overall, the storyline was very unique and is told from an interesting point of view."

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story you were able to connect with.

"The only thing that I could think about that I could relate to was the code that Superman lived by and the sort of penance he gave for breaking this code. I felt like it connected to me because I always try to right the wrongs that I commit. I also connected with his moment if self reflection in the end when he mentioned that Superman was overrated suggesting that he felt like the world couldn’t make it without him as if he were the only hope."

3. What changes would you make to adapt the story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

"I think that I would incorporate more silence into this work because this story is really dramatic. I felt like the text sometimes took away from the potential of this story emotionally grabbing the viewer. I wanted to feel the moment and live in it more rather than to just read about it. I would adapt it into either a graphic novel or a film because I feel like this heart-grasping story should be told in a more lengthened medium and over a longer period of time so that the emotions can be felt more."

No comments:

Post a Comment